Sunday, January 30, 2011

Winterlicious and Ladies Who Lunch

"Food is not about impressing people.
It's about making them feel comfortable."
~Ina Garten~
During Winterlicious, Toronto restaurants roll out their red carpets to battle-worn-post-December-holiday-surviving-troops and offer up some interesting menus at fabulous prices. It's a great way to bolster business, and give the general public an opportunity to savour fare that perhaps they would never otherwise be inspired to taste.

Each year I try to rally the troops for a Winterlicious outing, despite the bitter, dreary, grey cold of January. We are still fabulous despite the ice and snow and slush are we not?! In years past, there have been as few as three, and as many as 15 of us for what has become our traditional "Ladies Lunch". There were six of us for lunch this year; Claire (the young newlywed), Darleen (the new lady), Tish (mother of the bride), Myself (event coordinator), Candy (phellow phan) and Cura (baseball mom extraordinaire).

This year our destination was Toula, a restaurant with a fabulous view from the 38th floor of the Westin Harbour Castle Hotel, just at the foot of Yonge Street.  When I first stepped into the "lobby" of Toula, I instantly thought that there couldn't be a bad seat in the entire place. 

As we took our seats at the table, I chose the one with my back facing the window so that my friends could all enjoy the view.  As it turns out, I think I had one of the best views because I had a clear view of the beautifully snow covered Toronto Island.  With just a slight turn of my head, I could see the ice broken up on the lake, and the airplanes taking off from the island airport.

Unfortunately, the "new" lady, recently imported from Vancouver had a north-westish view of a tall condo  that was still under construction. Methinks the view of the tarps and industrial cranes did not contribute to the ambiance.  I can only imagine that the view of city lights at night would far outweigh any food disappointments. I'm now fantasizing about an evening dinner, looking out over the water reflecting the lights of our city.

I talk too much. It is my great desire to help people get to know one another. I love connecting people who otherwise would not meet but would be great friends, mentors and networking gurus.  I love seeing people enjoying the company of others.

Winterlicious has never bowled me over with the food itself. I've gone to places such as the Rosewater Supper Club, Lolita's Lust, and  Bodega.  None of them have charmed me based on their culinary flare alone, it is the atmosphere and the company I keep during the meal that creates a lasting impression. 

Had I been at Toula to strictly concentrate on the food, I would say that I would have been disappointed. The salad was well presented, but the gorgonzola dressing lacked umph. It's gorgonzola for goodness sakes - go for the gusto!  The two walnut halves and small piece of cheese on the salad fell short. If veal medallions are on the menu, it's a sure bet I won't be considering anything else. The medallions that I was served were more like mother-of-veal-chunks.  Veal should not come in "chunks". That's just my opinion.  The best part of my entree was the polenta.  How can you really go wrong with that? The asparagus was also lovely.  My strudel was cold, but heck - it was strudel nonetheless. 

Even though I was underwhelmed by the food, I was impressed with  the company of the women who shared my table.  Despite what I can't decide was either very careless service or very European service and mediocre food, I was very happy to be sharing this January afternoon with such wonderful people. Some new friends, some long-time friends, but friends regardless.

I had a chance to catch up with Tish and take a peek at Claire's wedding photos. Finally. What  a beautiful mother and daughter team!  After five years of parrotheading, this was the first time that I really had a chance to get to know Candy.  Cura, my comrade-in-the-stands-sunflower-seed-sharing-baseball-mom, joined us for her first Winterlicious Ladies Lunch. It was nice to get to know her a little bit better too. Darleen, what can I say? I remember how challenging it is to just pack up and move and re-establish yourself with new friends and cities.  I'm so glad that she came out and that we had a chance to meet her. I hope that there were some great, supportive connections made around our lunch table.

Winterlicious may or may not help you find a great new favourite spot to eat.  I've heard compliments and criticisms; it's a great way to try new places and food, the patrons don't tip well and the service is bad because of it.  There are benefits and drawbacks to everything.

Yes, the service might not be great. No, the patrons may not tip well because of the tempting lower priced menu. BUT, we're fortunate enough to live in a city where the food industry has been savvy and generous enough to host an event like this.  AND we're fortunate enough to live in a city where customers support the food industry. So, why not call a bit of a truce?  Enjoy the new menus, take a few food risks, and, at the same time, enjoy the company of good friends.

It's January after all folks. We're in the dead of winter. Take refuge in the port of good food, wine and company. Bon appetite!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez, I didn't know there were anti-winterlicious people out there...weird...

Anonymous said...

A great afternoon!