Saturday, January 22, 2011

Rheo Thompson Cherries and Other Things That Make Me Happy

"If I ever stop laughing, I'm dead"
~Tom Knapp~

It seems like ages since I've had a good, solid, belly laugh.  I can always depend on my friend Carrie for one of these daily, if need be.

This past Monday was supposed to be what "They" call the most depressing day of the year. Preceded by two months of insomnia, and followed by four days from hell, I'm starting to believe "Them". 

Yesterday, running errands, I was surrounded by the red and pink and white of St. Valentine's day. In year's past, I have fondly referred to the day for lovers as VD. How very appropriate.  Singledom does not lend itself well to days dedicated to lovers. Although I'm usually the queen of finding great greeting cards that make my friends squeal with delight, the holiday can be a little overwhelming if you're wishing-you-were-but-ain't-so-much in a loving, romantic relationship. 

Last year, strapped with more than a decade of singledom under my belt, I was prepared. No way was I going to let the good lovin's of other couples get me down. Surprise, surprise....VD came and I was not disappointed. My very, very, very dear friend had roses and treats and a card delivered, just because they know what a hopeless-hardass-romantic I really am deep down under my no nonsense exterior.  Surprise, surprise again, a lovely little younger-than-me addition to my black book popped up with a day out, dinner, roses, chocolates, French champagne (ok, I had to put the french part in there because I get such a kick out of it when people say "French" champagne...kinda like Spanish cava...oh the joy!), a night of being treated like the hope diamond. Ahhh....being single is not so bad.

This morning I woke up early, my kiddo still in that adolescent coma that is cosmic payback for all of the infant and toddler nights spent wide awake and aging mommy.  As I lie there wrapped up in my cozy fleece sheets thinking about my day, I was happy.  I mean having a lovely man who was also my best friend snuggled up beside me would have been nice, but that's not so, and therefore, I had the quiet time I needed to reflect on how many good things I have in my life.

Rheo Thompson chocolates. You know, the chocolate covered cherries with the stem that I used to buy and do my tying of the cherry stem in to a knot trick.  I love those cherries. Oh my gawd, and the mint smoothies. But it's not the chocolate that was the best part, the best part was knowing that I was going to spend time with some very dear friends way out there in Rheo Thompson land, eating, drinking and feeling on top of the world because of the company we were keeping.

Incidentally, The Gentle Rain has become part of the joy of my visits to Stratford as well. If you can buy my lucky tie-dyed socks in a store, sweet grass and white sage, it's a cool store.

Fried perch on buttered bread. No one makes it like my family from "down on the lake". Even though we don't see each other often, they are family, and I do love them. There are few replacements for spending time with people who have known you since you believed in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, and were afraid of crossing the street in the dark. There's something that makes you feel connected about family, regardless how wonky and nuts they appear to be to people who don't belong to the club.

Giggling with my best friend from high school. Grown, educated, women with families; we still gab almost daily, and despite the stresses of every day life.  We used to get together a few times a year, get dressed to go out, trying on clothes and acting like kids just for a few hours. And dance! Did we ever have fun. I need to do more of that too. Tomorrow sounds good.

Live music.  Friday night at my favourite pub, relaxing, ordering a cold beer and whatever was on the menu board. There was usually one or two friends who would be in for that after a long work week. Great music, an intimate crowd, and again, lots of conversation and laughter.  Concerts...I love going to concerts with people who are truly music lovers. Peace, love, and rock and roll sister! Robert Plant is my next ticket...I've even got the outfit ready!

A little side note here. To my mystery friend who sent the full page Gene Simmons advert from the Toronto Star. Thank you so much for the laugh. For those not in the know, I happen to think Gene Simmons is one of the most repulsive men on the planet - looks, personality, the entire ball of grease.  So, as I was working away diligently (is there any other way to work?) at my desk the other day, the mail was dropped on my desk.  No return address. Hmmm.... I opened the legal envelope to find a full page spread of Mr.Make-Me-Puke himself with a sticky note attached that read, "Wanna Go?" with a big heart underneath. I almost had a full blown belly laugh. Too funny. Thanks for the laugh mystery Simmons fan.


Food. Oh good gawd I have to get Mr. Simmons out of my mind before I talk about food or I'll be nauseated all day.

To enjoy a meal with friends is heaven. Food and wine and friends, what could make a person feel more blessed? A meal together where everyone is happy to be with one another.  In another week we're off to another Toronto Winterlicious event. Can't wait - it's always a good visit.

Flannel jammies, needlework, walking in the bright winter sunshine, road trips just to take photos and have lunch along a snowy path, pedicures, my friends in my fitness classes, snuggling into my seat at the movie theatre with diet coke and popcorn, discovering someone else who writes and thinking they're kinda cute, fresh haircuts, new projects, paying bills, playing with my little blue parrotlet, napping with my cat, deepening friendships, listening to the cares of other single mom pals, listening to the concerns of my married friends, remembering how much I have to offer someone out there.....they're all very good things.

As Valentine's Day approaches, I will remember all of these great things. Ok, and I'll hope for a little bit of that pink and red romance sparkle that found me a year ago, or at the very least, a Rheo Thompson cherry.

No comments: