Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Jimmy Buffett Meditation

"Let me remind you: We are party people, and things will get better.”

~Jimmy Buffett~
Censors warning...don't read any further if you don't have a sense of humour or consider asshole a swear word.
_____________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________

Blogging about Buffett while baking banana bread with my bird on my breast pocket...kinda appropriate non? If you're going to get the full effect of the Buffett blog you might want to enjoy this Buffett classic while you read.....



Anyway....

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds", that was the Albert Einstein quote that captured my attention during a window shopping expedition with my very best friend. "I love that," I said to her as we cruised the gift shop. 

My best friend has known me since I was 12 years old. We had been randomly assigned side-by-side lockers on our first day of high school, and the rest, as they say, is history.  We bonded over the view of Roger Morin's butt. Roger, by the way has since become an international model.
So, having over 20 years of insight into my psyche, my best friend gave me a curious, one-eyed-head-cocked-to-the-side look when I commented on the plaque engraved with the Einstein quote.  I am an idealist. I believe in doing the right thing, and that everyone else should too. That I would even consider there were mediocre minds out there was proof that I was in need of some positive-silliness-intervention.
My patience and good will have been tapped of late from many different directions.  This new year, my resolution was to be "Fearless". Fearlessness is taught to be one of the great gifts of Buddhism.  To be fearless in your understanding and practice of the dharma.  To be fearless in speaking the truth - not just the happy fuzzy warm truth, but the hard truths that are difficult to speak.

I would be proud to say that I took this inspiration straight from my dharma studies, but instead I must confess my human nature. I frequently indulge in monthly editions of SELF magazine, and the January issue featured the following quote;

"Be Fearless. If you make only one resolution this year, let it be to live boldly.  You control this moment: Rather than cautiously test the water, dive straight into life with freeing abandon.  Imagine the person you want to be and the life you want to live, then simply commit to them.  Believe in yourself.  Embrace your beauty. Discover a new passion. And whatever you do, wherever you go, don't be afraid to make a splash."

"Wow", I thought as I clipped the quote out of the magazine, "that used to be me!"  Somewhere along the way in the past year or so, I have lost my fearlessness. In the comfort of my daily routine, I became not only complacent, but fearful of change. In my gut I feel my fearfulness sprouts from comfort. Not such a bad thing right? I had become  fearful of doing the gutsy things I was famous for.  These are the "fearless" acts and decisions that I look back on now, and whether they turned out great, or were a disaster, of all of my experiences, it's the memory of  events inspired by fearlessness that have brought about positive change. Positive change, and many, many laughs!

 I have, in the past few years settled into a world of positive inspiration;

The large plaque on my office wall reads, "Laughter, Music of the Heart".  In my bathroom is a little sign that reads, " When you come to the edge of all the light you have known and are about to step out into the darkness, faith is knowing one of two things will happen; There will be something to stand on or you will be taught how to fly." You can't even let nature take its course without being inspired here. Under a mirror I have a sign that reads, "Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it." There's another one hanging in my office that says something about loving with all of your heart....blah, blah, blah.
Today was one of those days that we all have when you feel like saying, "No. Really. Please.  Enough inspiration already."
Maybe I'm overloaded with positive snippets, but today, the most inspirational thing that I could think of to do was to turn up my Jimmy Buffett playlist during my commute.  Being positive is important. But being drained and giving yourself sickly sweet medicine may not be the answer.

So, with my Jimmy Buffett prescription filled and bottled in my iPhone, I took a big bazillion milligram dose of JB therapy.  How can you not laugh when listening to songs with titles such as; My Head Hurts My Feet Stink and I Don't Love Jesus, There's a Party at the End of the World, Jeff the Muff Diver and of course, The Asshole Song.

As I drove along this morning I listened to lyrics like , "....funny thing about it, Jeff don't even swim?!" or I'm goin' down to Fausto's get some chocolate milk. Can't spend my life in yer sheets of silk. I've got to find my way, Crawl out and greet the day, But now my head hurts, my feet stink, and I don't love Jesus (oh my lordy it's that...) It's that kinda mornin' , really was that kinda night ".

Now let's establish that I do love Jesus. I also happen to think that within the context of the song, the lyrics are brilliant.

And the Asshole song. If you've ever driven in rush hour traffic in the GTA, you'd get the humour;

"Well I was drivin' down I-95 the other night. Somebody nearly cut me right off the road. I decided it wasn't gonna do any good to get mad. So I wrote a song about him instead.It goes like this...Were you born an asshole? Or did you work at it your whole life?", and the line that always gets a giggle out of me is, "I was talkin' to yer mother, just the other night. I told her I thought you were an asshole. She said, "Yes", I think you're right".

I know, it's adolescent, toilet humour, but keep in mind that the general consensus is that I'm a responsible, educated, thoughtful and kind person. I'm also human, and to be fully human means to nurture every side of my personality. With the winter blahs, and Christmas bills piled up, it's ok to need to let loose. As the great Mr. Leonard Cohen lyric goes, "There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." No puns on the Asshole song intended.

So, I'm feeling a bit cracked, and the humour and tropical tones of Jimmy Buffett bring a smile to my face as I stay on the right track being a responsible woman; friend, mother, employee, colleague, neighbour, and sometimes nemesis.

Check out some Jimmy Buffett on YouTube;

The Asshole Song


My Head Hurts My Feet Stink and I Don't Love Jesus




When I tell people that I'm a card carrying member of Mr. Buffett's fan club, I get sideways glances.  I'm also a member of the Art Gallery and donate regularly to charity and public radio broadcasting.  What most people don't know about Mr. Buffett is that he, despite his carefully branded beach bum image, is a highly intelligent man. A pilot, an author, and accomplished musician, not so bad for a beach bum.  His autobiography is an eye opener, and his novels are mind-trash, but hilarious.

One important thing to remember when being a Buffett fan is having the honour of keeping the acquaintance of other, light-hearted, fun-loving, salt-of-the-earth, give-you-the-shirt-off-their-backs Jimmy Buffett fans.  So, when I listen to his music, and a smile comes to my face, quite often it's because I'm remembering sharing fun times with my fellow fans. 

Some more profound lyrics/songs that might give you some insight into the genius of Jimmy Buffett;

A Pirate Looks at 40


One Particular Harbour


Beautiful Swimmers




I'll take you back now to that quote at the very beginning of my blog, "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds". Lately I've been feeling a bit like that great spirit. What's that other saying, you know, the one about never argue with a fool? ( I believe it's: Never argue with a fool. People might not known the difference).

Instead of arguing. Instead of fighting a battle that just cannot be won, why not take a big deep breath and laugh?

After all, as the great Jimmy Buffett says, "If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin' Friday night!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honoured to keep your acquaintance too, phellow phan. Hope to see you at Phirst Phriday again soon!

Love you like tequila!
Trina