Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas is for Canoodling

"When you love someone,
all your saved up wishes
start coming out."
~Elizabeth Bowen~




Today I had to do some last minute over spending shopping.  I'm usually hyper- organized at Christmas time, with the entirety of my shopping complete before the end of November. This year, I still have a list;

Shopping with my son for his dad's gift
A little something extra for my Christmas day guests
Christmas Crackers for the table
Wrapping Paper
Wine

Ok, so it's not a terribly long list, but a list nonetheless.  As I browsed through the book store today, I had the pleasure of browsing and then stopping off for a coffee at Starbucks.  I took a look for those  cute squirrel mugs that annoy the heck out of me, but they must be sold out.  

As I was waiting in line for my coffee, I noticed a couple sitting next to an almost unbearably romantic display of Christmas blend coffee (please Santa bring me a pound of finely ground decaf Christmas Blend!). 

They were average looking people, around my own age (in other words very young and very sexy).  Both had their winter coats shed over the backs of their chairs, and were leaned in to one another like their conversation was world changing. Actually I think all of these shamelessly-romantic-soul-bearing conversations are world changing.  I mean, if we all were madly in love, we'd be a lot happier, and less likely to bound out of bed first thing in the morning to go to war. Just sayin'.

Anyway, the woman had her arms stretched out across the small cafe table, and her gentleman friend had his hand place snugly over hers.  Clearly, this man was "into her". Like really into her. Like in love with her, or falling in love with her. She wasn't some bimbo blond, or super model type, just an average woman like you and I. It was lovely and reassuring to see. Two average people sharing an extraordinary moment.

I'm sure I wasn't exactly staring at them, because I was still debating whether to have an earl grey latte, or a peppermint white chocolate mocha. Recognizing such intense emotion only takes an instant though, and boy oh boy, could I recognize it.  I would have traded both the earl grey latte and the peppermint white chocolate mocha to trade places with them.

In our notions, and in our media, Christmas is a time to connect with family and friends, with those people who love us forever and for always unconditionally. Christmas is a touchstone to all of those things in our history; what made us who we are.  But what happens when you don't have any of those people or things left? What happens when all you have left of that idea are memories, or faded dreams? You buy the flipping-peppermint-white-mocha-full-fat-extra-whip-and-chocolate-sprinkles pul-ease!

The weeks leading up to Christmas and the week between Christmas and new year's eve were always weeks to relax into.  They were weeks to snuggle in with your special someone; to plan, to dream, and to reconfirm your devotion to one another.

I didn't want to stare at this lovely couple. I didn't want to intrude on their moment. It warmed my heart to see a man be so caring, gentle and attentive to this woman.  Her outstretched hands held protectively under his, I imagined a lovely, loving life for them together.

I walked out into the crisp snowfall, cup in hand, hoping that everyone gets to know that feeling at least at Christmas time; that feeling of being loved, adored and protected.



No comments: