Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Christmas is all about Cookies

"Christmas is a time when you get
 homesick - even when you're home."
 ~Carol Nelson~


Bless me readers for I have sinned.  It has been two days since my last need to confess to the news gods.  Today (again) I succumbed to the temptation of convenience and the Toronto Star.

See, I had a couple of spare minutes this morning on my way to a meeting, so I popped into the McD's drive-through for a coffee.  Their coffee is, in my opinion better than Tim's, and the line-ups at the drive-through are way shorter. Getting cut off by some rushed mother in the insanely designed drive through line at Tim's doesn't really make me feel all warm and snugly and Mrs. Clausish.

Every day my best friend and I talk. At least once, sometimes two or three times. This is the best therapy ever, we laugh, we cry, we act like we're 12 year old kids. I take all the credit for keeping her marriage alive and well, and I give her all the credit for me continuing to want to get married.  I'm a devoted news follower, love politics, books, current events and wine. She who shall remain nameless could care less about the newspaper, may or may not vote, reads only as necessary (ie cooking instructions), and shops like a mad woman. We are perfectly matched polar opposites.

Today I woke up in a great mood. I've had two nights of relaxed, deep, quiet thinking about all things McDish.  I'm calm, peaceful, happy, and have vowed a right attitude for the entire month of December.  This Christmas I'm going to enjoy every second with my son, my aunts, my friends and even my colleagues. This year, it will be Christmas in my heart. Incidentally the liquor store having extended hours might be a really good thing to help me along the "Christmas-in-your-heart" path.

So, today as my best pal  was planning a brief personal shopping excursion, I was sipping my coffee all keyed up that I might get the time to read at least some of the news today.  I peeked at the entertainment section and low and behold, it's the Toronto Star's first day of cookie advent. There is going to be a cookie recipe every day from now until Christmas published in the Star. Ooh la la.

Cookies.  Right up there with wine, Bing Crosby flicks and big red bows. Mmmmmm-Cookies!!!  To top it all off, today's recipe was for smores cookies. Nothing better than combining the great-Canadian-love-of-camping-and-cooking-over-an-open-fire and Christmas time. Oh YAH!

There are a couple of commitments I have to complete before I can settle in and concentrate on all things Christmas. Sunday night will be my break-out Christmas celebration night. I'm going to bake those smore cookies in my flannel nightie while singing along to my 8 Christmas play lists on my iPhone. Nothing says Christmas like being decked out in a flannel nightie licking the spoon to the dulcet tones of Peggy Lee and Andy Williams.  That almost sounds a little sexy doesn't it? I imagine that flannel nightie, licking the spoon business could possibly be a seasonal addition to the Joy of Sex.

So, as much as I love to bake, and my best friend doesn't, today we laughed at all that makes our homes Christmas at this stage in our lives.  As she gets ready for her family Christmas photo which will require loads of patience and some assistance from mother's little helper, I will be gearing up for an exam.  The countdown to fun is on.

I remember my family cooking and baking up a storm the entire month of December. That was back in the day when family lived close by, and regular coffee and chat visits were expected.  One of my aunts made the best shortbread cookies in the world. My other aunt made sugar cookies that I still think are the best in the entire world. My mom made my dad's favourite butterscotch and coloured miniature marshmallow squares, and my favourite, "Hello Dollies".  My grandma made mincemeat tarts that I could never imagine putting past my lips as a child, and the most divine butter tarts.  There were cookies and squares and treats galore.

Christmas was the only time of year we got nuts and tangerines and every flavour of pop under the sun.  We settled in at night to watch all of the Christmas specials; Charlie Brown (still my very favourite), Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman, and it just wouldn't have been Christmas without the subtle transsexual-like flair of Anne Murray.

So, this year, even if I need a bit of a massage from a drinkipoo, I will get back to taking the time to visit, enjoy the company of the people I love, and relearn how to relax with Charlie, Rudolph and Frosty.

Hmmmm....I'd better get my wish list posted so Santa knows I've been a good girl.

No comments: